[rt-users] Trouble upgrading to 3.8.1

Joop JoopvandeWege at mococo.nl
Thu Oct 9 03:07:35 EDT 2008

Kenneth Crocker wrote:
> To all,
>

> 	The regular guy who has done our installs before is no longer
> available, so I ended up with this little task. In trying to install
> 3.8.1, I ran into a couple problems. We do not use the default /opt/rt
> directory, but a different one. I had instructions to run a
> "configuration" module that consisted of:
>
> ./configure \
>          --prefix=/xxxx/rt/rt-3.8.1 \
>          --with-mod_perl=yes \
>          --with-rt-group=rt \
>          --with-bin-owner=rt \
>          --with-libs-owner=rt \
>          --with-libs-group=rt \
>          --with-db-type=Oracle \
>          --with-db-host=**** \
>          --with-db-dba=**** \
>          --with-db-database=**** \
>          --with-db-rt-user=**** \
>          --with-db-rt-pass=**** \
>          --with-web-user=rt \
>          --with-web-group=rt
>
> 	where '****' is really something I can't print. My concern was if
> something was missing. I got the error message:
>
> checking for a BSD-compatible install... ./install-sh -c
> checking for gawk... no
> checking for mawk... no
> checking for nawk... nawk
> checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
> checking for chosen layout... relative
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cl.exe... no
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> See `config.log' for more details.
>
> 	I went ahead and tried to run make testdeps and I got these results:
>

> 	I don't know where this stuff is or why it's missing. Doesn't
> SearchBuilder come with the installation? If so, why can't it find the
> latest version? I really do NOT understand this. Can I get some guidence
> here? Thanks.
make testdeps just does that it test for dependancies and prints MISSING
if it finds perl modules which are not up to date.
Running 'make fixdeps'  takes care of updating the required modules, BUT
then you'll need a properly configured CPAN and the needed gcc and
assorted utils.

Please supply your OS as the way to get the required utils varies with
the Linux distribution.

Just ask if you need help, I have installed RT dozens of times on both
Ubuntu and Centos almost always using Oracle as a backend.

Joop