[rt-users] Outlook 2003 Breaks Subject Line

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 21 14:43:35 EDT 2008

Hello,

I've found an interesting email problem and I wondered if anyone has an
ideas. The problem is when using Outlook (2003) to view mail, the subject
line can be munged in some circumstances.

Example - I sent mail to myself with the following subject line:

Re: [R3-chmgt] Transport SF2 > SF5 SF2K945289 [help.mit.edu #724401]

When I received the mail and viewed it in Outlook 2003, the subject
appears like this:

Re: [R3-chmgt] Transport SF2 > SF5 SF2K945289 [help.mit.edu#724401]

The difference is that there is no space between "help.mit.edu" and "#".
This is a problem because, if reply to this message and I direct it to RT,
the ticket identifying string is now broken, and I create a new ticket
instead of appending to the intended ticket.

If I view the same message using a different email client (I tried webmail
and Opera mail), the subject line appears correctly - no munging. So there
appears to be an issue with how Outlook reads the message.

What appears to be happening is that Outlook is inserting a line break and
a tab character before "#724401" - here's what the subject header looks
like when viewd in Outlook:

Subject: Re: [R3-chmgt] Transport SF2->SF5 SF2K945289 [help.mit.edu
	#724401]

Has anyone seen anything like this before and are there any suggestions
for solving the problem?

Thanks,
Steve

--