[rt-users] Ldap Authentication setup question

Mike Peachey mike.peachey at jennic.com
Wed Oct 22 10:43:47 EDT 2008

Michael Mollard wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm an RT newbie, so be gentle with me.
>
> I have setup a functioning RT system (on SLES10sp2)

What version of RT?

> I have installed the RT::Authen::ExternalAuth 0.5.  This creates a <$RT_HOME>/local/plugins/RT-Authen-ExternalAuth/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm
> I have edited that file with the correct site-specific ldap stuff.
>
> Now, what do I need to add to my <$RT_Home>/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm to activate the LDAP stuff?  Are there any other changes needed?

The file
$RTHOME/local/plugins/RT-Authen-ExternalAuth/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm is not
part of the installation, it simply contains examples for you to paste
into your $RTHOME/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm file.

You can alternatively choose to put a line in your RT_SiteConfig to
"include" the example file instead of just copying the lines out of it.

> The wiki articles (http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/ExternalAuth) are helpful to a point, but the Post-Install section (which is apparently the crux of the setup) is too vague for an RT newbie.

I've just read it again and the instructions seem fairly clear. If you
can advise what is confusing to you, perhaps we can make it better.

If you are using RT 3.8.x then I recommend using this ExternalAuth
0.06_002 instead of 0.05 as it is a pre-release candidate for RT3.8
compatibility. 0.05 was written before 3.8 came out and so requires
tweaking before it will work properly with 3.8 and later.

You can get it here:
http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/F/FA/FALCONE/RT-Authen-ExternalAuth-0.06_02.tar.gz

--
Kind Regards,

Mike Peachey, IT
Tel: +44 114 281 2655
Fax: +44 114 281 2951
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT, UK
Comp Reg No: 3191371 - Registered In England
http://www.jennic.com