[rt-users] Version 3.8.1 upgrade - UPGRADING.mysql file clarification

Todd Herr todd at theherrs.net
Wed Oct 22 13:59:40 EDT 2008

Hello.

I'm still in the planning stages of an upgrade from 3.6.0, with MySQL
5.0.22, to 3.8.1, and I'm a bit confused by contents of the
UPGRADING.mysql file.

The file includes the line:

If you're upgrading RT from versions prior to 3.8.0 then you MUST follow
instructions below.

but those instructions all seem to speak to an upgrade of MySQL from 4.0
to 4.1, and I'm already running MySQL 5.0.22:

1) Backup RT database. It's really good to test that you can restore from
    this backup.

2) Follow instructions in the README file to the step 7).

3) Apply changes described in the seven step, but only up to version 3.8.0.

4) Apply mysql 4.0->4.1 schema changes. RT tarball has script
etc/upgrade/schema.mysql-4.0-4.1.pl that generates SQL queries to
upgrade schema
  of
the DB. Run it:

     perl etc/upgrade/schema.mysql-4.0-4.1.pl db user pass > sql.queries

5) Check sanity of sql queries yourself or consult with your DBA

6) Apply queries. Note that this step can take a while. May require
additional
    space on your hard drive comparable with size of your tables.

     mysql -u root -p rt3 < sql.queries

So, my question is, do I have to follow the instructions in the
UPGRADING.mysql file, given that I'm already running MySQL 5.0.22?

--
Todd Herr