[rt-users] Charset issues after upgrade to 3.8.1

Emmanuel Lacour elacour at easter-eggs.com
Tue Sep 2 10:26:37 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 07:13:24AM -0700, F350 wrote:

> No I installed from scratch 3.8.0.
> Somewhere in the UPGRADING.mysql file, they say:
> don't use utf8 as default mysql's character set, it's default in some
> distributives.
>
> I'm using debian etch but i don't know if my mysql is using utf-8 by default
> or not.
> Could that be the problem ?

Ok, here is how I understand your problem:

- you installed 3.8.0
- you inserted some datas, mysql on debian etch uses latin1 as default,
  so you have a DB with UTF-8 encoded as latin1
  (to confirm this, connect with the mysql client to the rt db and
  issue: show variables like 'character_set%';)
- in 3.8.1, RT forces connexion to mysql to be UTF-8, so you don't
  convert back latin1 anymore and you get garbled chars

so it was needed to run the mysql4.0-4.1 script, for sure.

what I don't understand is why it didn't fix the problem:(

Are you sure you worked on the right DB, right RT instance, etc... ?