[rt-users] Editing Comments or Replies

John Rouillard rouilj at renesys.com
Wed Sep 3 16:57:42 EDT 2008

eOn Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 11:31:02AM -0400, Alan Cheng wrote:
> This RT user of ours used a different open source ticketing system
> before.  That system allows modifications to the "Summary" (almost
> equivalent to the email Subject:), "Note" and "Description".  With this
> feature the user found it easy to update a ticket for future search
> without sifting through all the comments.  I believe the system logs the
> modifications so we know which user touched the Summary I guess.  But I
> don't believe it records exactly what changes were made so this still
> isn't good enough for auditing purpose...
>
> Will modifying the email subject line for a RT ticket break all the
> links (data, attachments, etc...)?  Just curious...

I claim it shouldn't have any effect except that email messages coming
in with just the subject (but no ticket identifier) that could be
matched to the ticket's subject field won't be. But I think that
feature is only in the more recent RT's.

However, what I suggest is a custom summary/checklist text field. In
my (old version) of rt, the best I can do is an "enter multiple
values" custom field, which kind of bites for this purpose as it keeps
merging all the lines, but yours may operate better.

I implemented something similar for roundup's sysadmin tracker a while
back. It's useful for keeping things like other ticket/case numbers
from vendors, keywords for searching, checklists of open tasks up to
date.

--
				-- rouilj

John Rouillard