[rt-users] How to get RT to use Reply-To for returned emails

John BORIS jboris at adphila.org
Mon Sep 8 14:27:42 EDT 2008

In my setup my users are sending emails to RT from a machine where their
email address isn't valid. It is hard to explain. The corporate email
address for my users is not the same as their login and email address on
the server where the email is originating. We use Mutt as the client.
The emails are sent from inside a program the user is running.
It is like this
User's login to server: joed
email address on that server: joed at localserver.edu
Corporate email is joed at corporateemail.org
REPLY-TO joed at corporateemail.org

The user sends the email to RT from the application on the server. Mutt
sends the email to RT and RT takes it and processes it. It correctly
adds the ticket to the proper Queue but it then sends the reply back to
the From address not the REPLY-TO address. This reply is then refused by
the local server.

Is there a way to have RT use the REPLY-TO field for replies instead of
the From field? Or is the REPLY-TO field not set in all email clients?

I hope I gave enough info.

TIA

John J. Boris, Sr.
JEN-A-SyS Administrator
Archdiocese of Philadelphia
"Remember! That light at the end of the tunnel
Just might be the headlight of an oncoming train!"