[rt-users] Overnight segfault since RT 3.8.1 upgrade

James Chamberlain jamesc at exa.com
Mon Sep 15 09:43:28 EDT 2008

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2008, at 8:55 AM, James Chamberlain wrote:
>
>> It does, but the thing that gets me is that this has only happened since I
>> upgraded to 3.8.1.  If I switch back to 3.8.0 - granted, not something I
>> should do since there have been database changes - I don't have the
>> overnight segfault problem anymore.
>
> The database changes shouldn't be "dangerous", though that's quite
> interesting. By "switch back" do you mean restoring the server to an older
> version or just switching the RT directory?

I'm doing things in a slightly different way than the installation or
upgrading instructions call for, I think.  Rather than upgrade /opt/rt3, I
do a fresh install to /opt/rt3-<build#>.  I then copy over local changes,
and copy and check RT_SiteConfig.pm for updates.  From there, I follow the
"upgrade" instructions as they relate to the database, and update my Apache
configs and my /opt/rt3 symlink.  Doing it in this way lets me keep the
previous version intact in case something goes wrong and I need to switch
back in a hurry.  All I need to do is change the symlink and the Apache
configs.

> Can you catch a stacktrace from the segfault's core dump? Can you make it
> dump core without waiting for 10 hours of silence from you users?

I'll see what I can do, but I've only reliably seen this in the morning and
don't know the exact trigger yet.

Thanks,

James