[rt-users] 3.8.4 installation issue

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Tue Aug 4 13:45:05 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 08:57:58AM -0700, Joel Hartshorn wrote:
> I had the same issue and found no help.  I did see the offer for "paid"
> services, which seems to condradict the idea that you can at least install
> the software.
>
> I personally had to crack open each file and examine the failure.  I would
> say 99% of the time it is going to be an upline dependency.  IE some perl
> module/file on your system is not combatible with 3.8.4.
>
> On RHEL 4.0 I never did get it to work with constant failure on HTML::Mason.
>
> Good luck...and welcome to one of the big downsides of open source.

To be fair, any package of sufficient complexity will require care
and understanding to install whether it is a closed source commercial
package or open source. Hence the frequent requirement for OS xxx
VERSION yyy for closed source applications. It looks like you are
using a home built version of perl and it has some problems. This
is not really RT's fault. Try using the system software instead.
Compared to getting perl/Apache to work properly together, the RT
installation is very straightforward. Good luck.

Cheers,
Ken