[rt-users] Perl Books for RT

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at cyber-office.net
Thu Aug 20 17:01:23 EDT 2009

Eric Chatham wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know a good version of Perl to purchase and read with RT
> Essentials.  I know nothing about PERL and I need to learn it – our
> company is moving towards a Linux atmosphere.  Trying to understand how
> the all works is racking my brain.  I’m rather new to Linux -- and Perl
> for that matter.  Please.  Any assistance would be great.

I agree with Helmuth Ramirez about "Learning Perl".  No experience with
"Teach Yourself Perl in 24 Hours" but I've used other "Teach Yourself
...  in 24 hour" books and found them useful in that they take you
step-by-step through the processes.

 From what I've seen of RT code it is very OO so you should look at one
of the Damien Conway books: "Object Oriented Perl" or "Perl Best
Practices".  And there is "Perl Objects, References, & Modules" by
Randal Schwartz _with Tom Phoenix_.

And don't forget to join the Perl Monks (http://perlmonks.org) or a
(local) Perl Users Group with a mailing list.

\\||/
Rod