[rt-users] ERROR 1062 during 3.4.5 -> 3.8.2 database update

Jim Faulkner james.faulkner at yale.edu
Wed Feb 18 17:29:32 EST 2009

I'm getting the "ERROR 1062 (23000) at line 210: Duplicate entry '' for key 2"
error when updating the database from 3.4.5 to 3.8.2.  I see from this message:
http://www.mail-archive.com/rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com/msg17534.html

that I have a few different choices as to how to solve this.  However, I'm not
a mysql expert, so I'm afraid I'll need a little more help.

I've tried changing the Users table's collation to utf8_unicode_ci, however I
still get the same error when updating the database.  What collation should I
use to prevent this error?  The original collation is latin1_swedish_ci.

I've also tried to find the affected rows so that I can rename the users.
However, I'm not getting anywhere.  The error says that the duplicate
entry is '', however "select * from Users where Name='';" returns zero
rows.  I've also tried dumping the Name column into a text file and using
the uniq unix command, but it finds no duplicates.  What is the best way
to find duplicate entries?

Jim Faulkner / james.faulkner at cs.yale.edu
Systems Administrator, Linux Systems Design & Support (LSDS)
Yale University Information Technology Services (ITS)