[rt-users] Hardware Config

jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
Fri Jan 16 16:52:14 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 02:37:30PM -0500, Mathew wrote:
>> We presently have our RT installation running on the same hardware as
the database: an Intel 1550 box with 4 cores of about 2.5GHz each and 8GB
>>RAM.  We've been plagued with speed issues even after upgrading to this.
We realized initial performance gains when we installed to the new

Jesse Vincent <jesse at bestpractical.com> wrote:

>Can you tell us about how you've tuned mysql, how many concurrent users
>you have working with RT, how many tickets you have in RT, etc?
>
>No matter how beefy a server you've got, if you don't spend some time
>tuning mysql, it will assume it's running on a single-core Pentium 133
>with 128 megs of RAM which is also your primary mail server. And the
>performance you see will reflect that.

I agree completely with the above, but more important to me than just RAM
and processing power is the speed of disk access.  He mentioned using RAID
5 in a follow-up post.  That's fine, but are these IDE or 15k SCSI drives?
Faster drives should always speed up database performance.
James