[rt-users] Hardware Config

Curtis Bruneau curtisb at vianet.ca
Fri Jan 16 17:01:30 EST 2009

Jesse Vincent wrote:

>> I agree completely with the above, but more important to me than just RAM
>> and processing power is the speed of disk access.  He mentioned using RAID
>> 5 in a follow-up post.  That's fine, but are these IDE or 15k SCSI drives?
>> Faster drives should always speed up database performance.
>>

> At 8 gigs of RAM on a well-tuned system, most of what RT is pulling out
> of the database should always be cached in memory.  If MySQL is going to
> disk on every query, the game's over and you're better off sobbing
> quietly into a stiff drink than getting faster disks.
>
> -j

Yeah agreed, It should rarely go to disc. The iowait on my server is
very low. If it is there's either missing indexes or not enough memory
pool for innodb to keep it cached, you can see that with the hit rate.

He can adjust that with the 'innodb_buffer_pool_size' , I've also set
'innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit' to 0 which isn't as safe but it makes
writes really fast.  There are other settings also.

The one area that is prone to issues is the Search due to all the fields
it can search and a lot of them aren't indexed so it's doing a lot of
row scans.