[rt-users] Hardware Config

Mathew mathew.snyder at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 17:28:50 EST 2009

Curtis Bruneau wrote:
> Jesse Vincent wrote:
>>
>>> I agree completely with the above, but more important to me than just RAM
>>> and processing power is the speed of disk access.  He mentioned using RAID
>>> 5 in a follow-up post.  That's fine, but are these IDE or 15k SCSI drives?
>>> Faster drives should always speed up database performance.
>>>
>> At 8 gigs of RAM on a well-tuned system, most of what RT is pulling out
>> of the database should always be cached in memory.  If MySQL is going to
>> disk on every query, the game's over and you're better off sobbing
>> quietly into a stiff drink than getting faster disks.
>>
>> -j
>>
> Yeah agreed, It should rarely go to disc. The iowait on my server is
> very low. If it is there's either missing indexes or not enough memory
> pool for innodb to keep it cached, you can see that with the hit rate.
>
> He can adjust that with the 'innodb_buffer_pool_size' , I've also set
> 'innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit' to 0 which isn't as safe but it makes
> writes really fast.  There are other settings also.
>
> The one area that is prone to issues is the Search due to all the fields
> it can search and a lot of them aren't indexed so it's doing a lot of
> row scans.

Writes aren't an issue.  It doesn't take long to write one transaction compared to reading every transaction on a ticket before displaying it.  I still need to take a look-see at the config file to see what I've got going on there before I can say it isn't the buffer pool size.

Additionally, we do have about six or seven custom fields which wouldn't be indexed.

--
Keep up with my goings on at http://feeds.feedburner.com/theillien_atom