[rt-users] Hardware Config

Mathew mathew.snyder at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 19:35:16 EST 2009

I was finally able to log into the system I'm consulting on.  Using all of this discussion as a jumping off point to figure out other steps to take I've found a couple things which are clear problems.  There are only 4GB RAM as opposed to the 8GB which I thought it had.  This would be moot anyway as the system is 32-bit and the PAE kernel isn't in use.

I found a query which gave me the database size.  Turns out to be much larger than I thought: 5.7GB vs the couple of GB I assumed.  Add this to the 4GB RAM and the my.cnf can't be tuned properly anyway.  Kinda hard to fit 5.7GB of database into 4GB of RAM.  Essentially swaps are being done and in the present config there isn't anything that can really be done about it.

I've recommended that, instead of building out a separate DB server, they upgrade to RHEL 5.2 64-bit and upping the RAM.  Once that is done the MySQL config can be adjusted to make use of the greater capacity eliminating at least that aspect of the problem.

I made other points as well.  I recommended upgrading MySQL from 5.0.27 which I recall having minor issues which have caused problems in the past.  I also suggested having someone create indexes for the custom fields.

Thanks for all the input folks.  It's appreciated.

-Mathew

--
Keep up with my goings on at http://feeds.feedburner.com/theillien_atom