[rt-users] Migrating from Postgres to MySQL

Matt Simerson matt at corp.spry.com
Wed Jul 29 13:26:54 EDT 2009

On Jul 29, 2009, at 7:10 AM, Robert Nesius wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Kenneth Marshall <ktm at rice.edu>
> wrote:
> Kage,
>
> The main advantage is gained by avoiding I/O through the virtual
> disk. The layout of the virtual disk tends to turn most I/O into
> random I/O, even I/O that starts as sequential. The factor of
> 10 performance difference between random/sequential I/O causes
> the majority of the performance problem. I have not had personal
> experience with using an NFS mount point to run a database so I
> cannot really comment on that. Good luck with your evaluation.
>
> You're trading head-seeking latencies for network latencies,

No.

If this were a standard host environment, that would be true. But in a
virtual environment, there is the overhead of the disk create/
maintenance/update processes of the virtualization engine which
multiply the overhead of the disk. Just run a disk benchmarking
utility inside a VE running under any platform that uses disk images
(vmware, xen, parallels, etc...) and then run those same tests on the
host node. The difference in performance is often an order of
magnitude slower for the virtual disks.

Contrast that with NFS performance, which has a small fixed overhead
imposed by the network (even smaller if you use jumbo frames). If you
were using a platform with a robust NFS implementation (Solaris,
FreeBSD), I'd put money on the database performing better on NFS than
inside most virtual machines. If you're using NFS with Linux, you will
certainly have performance issues that you won't be able to get past.

If the virtualization environment provides raw disk access to the VE,
my bet is off. Examples of virtualization platforms that [can] do this
are FreeBSD jails and Linux OpenVZ. On several occasions, I have built
VEs for MySQL and mounted a dedicated partition in the VE. Assuming
you've given adequate resources to the DB VE, that works as well as a
dedicated machine.

When I arrived at my current position, the SA team had put the
databases into the VEs that needed them, along with the apps that
accessed them. Despite having 6 servers to spread the load across,
they had recurring database performance issues (a few times a week),
particularly with RT. I resolved all the DB issues by building a
dedicated machine with 4 disks (two battery backed RAID-1 mirrors) all
the databases to it. The databases have dedicated spindles as does the
OS & logging. Despite the resistance to the "all our DB eggs in one
basket approach," the wisdom of that choice is now plainly evident.
All the performance problems went away and haven't returned.

> and those are almost certainly higher.  Hosting your database server
> binaries and such forth in NFS is possible, though again, not
> optimal both from a performance and risk standpoint (NFS server
> drops, your DB binaries vanish, your DB server drops even though the
> machine hosting it was fine).

That's not how NFS works. If the NFS server vanishes, the NFS client
hangs and waits for it to return. That is a design feature of NFS. The
consistency of the databases is entirely dependency on the disk
subsystem of the file server.

> I think hosting databases in NFS can cause serious problems - I seem
> to remember older versions of mysql wouldn't support that.  I don't
> know if newer ones do...but I do know in the very large IT
> environment I worked in, all database servers hosted the DBs on
> their local disks or in filesystems hosted on disks (SANS?) attached
> via fibre-channel.

I would never host a database server on anything but RAID protected
disks with block level access (ie, local disks, iSCSI, etc). Database
engines have been explicitly designed and optimized for this type of
disk backend.  That is starting to change, as a few new DB engines
that are designed for network storage (like SimpleDB). But none I know
of are production-ready.

> Could solid-state drives side-step the random-access issue with
> virtualization, or at least make it suck less?

Haven't tried it yet, but my guess is no.  However, I have put
databases on SSD disks with excellent results.

> Based on how many people I know who have said "Wow, my SSD died.  I
> thought those were supposed to be more reliable?" ... I wouldn't bet
> my service uptime on it. ;)

There's this thing called RAID, that protects against disk
failures.... It works quite well with SSD disks and delivers
performance numbers for a couple thousand bucks that would otherwise
take a $150,000+ SAN.

Matt