[rt-users] Migrating from Postgres to MySQL

William Graboyes william.graboyes at theportalgrp.com
Wed Jul 29 13:44:51 EDT 2009

Hi Matt,

Raid is not the end-all be-all for disk safety, especially when you step
into terabyte class computing, sorry I am taking this a bit off topic. While
RAID has it's bonuses, there are drawbacks as well, take your standard RAID
5 setup, 4 Disks, 3 active, 1 Hot Spare.  Now lets say that Disk number 2
decided it was going to release it's smoke to the world (never a good
thing), now your array is still alive and it is starting to rebuild onto
disk 4 to make up for the death of disk 2.  During the rebuild process Disk
1 comes across a bad sector, poof, your data is gone.  Just a word of
warning, don't put all your data safety eggs into the RAID basket.

Otherwise I agree that running via NFS from a virtualized server would
probably have perfromance gains over running in the virtual invironment.

Thanks,
Bill