[rt-users] RT 3.8.2 -> 3.8.3 Update/Changes

Odhiambo ワシントン odhiambo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 02:00:40 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 12:58 AM, Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com> wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2009, at 12:28 PM, Kevin Falcone wrote:
> > I don't think you're doing this from a tarball,
> > you're trying to do it from the installed directory.
>
> Nope, from the extracted tarball in ports directory.
>
> > It gives you an even more specific command to run
> > at the end of the output from make upgrade
>
> FreeBSD port doesn't use "make install" or "make upgrade" -- unless
> perhaps we're supposed to run "make upgrade" from the extraction
> directory afterwards.  The port doesn't indicate this.
>
> I'm very tempted to stop using the FreeBSD port and just run RT from a
> single install directory, but I'm also aware that this will make the
> installation even more tied-to-Jos-brain and less easy for others to
> maintain, so...

I have always run my RT from the tarball on FreeBSD and it installs
everything in /opt/.
Upgrading that should not cause any hell if you follow the rules. The only
deviation is the upgrade of the perl modules, which "make fixdeps" does for
you. If other people are to maintain the system, then write them a howto for
maintaining RT, but AFAICS, it's already there for you in UPGRADING. Just
point them to it.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,