[rt-users] RT 3.8.2 -> 3.8.3 Update/Changes

jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
Wed Jun 3 18:51:21 EDT 2009

Everyone has their own way of doing things, but I find upgrading RT is
easiest by essentially installing RT from scratch upon each upgrade and
then soft-linking to the new directory.  In this way, upgrades are
straightforward and not hard to follow.  For example:

download new RT source
untar/unzip RT source
rename RT source to rt-3.8.3.src   (in this example RT 3.8.3)
cd rt-3.8.3.src
./configure --prefix=/opt/rt3.8.3 --with-web-user=apache
--with-web-group=apache --with-mysql --with-web-handler=fastcgi     (or
mod_perl, etc)
make testdeps
upgrade/install any required perl modules via 'make fixdeps' or cpan
make install
copy RT_SiteConfig.pm from current RT installation (let's assume /opt/rt3
and that /opt/rt3 is a soft link to, for example, /opt/rt3.8.2) to
/opt/rt3.8.3/etc/ *and* /opt/rt-3.8.3.src/etc
Copy any local customizations from /opt/rt3/local into /opt/rt-3.8.3/local
>From within source directory:
sbin/rt-setup-database --action upgrade --datadir etc/upgrade
(The above step upgrades the database)
cd /opt
rm /rt3
ln -s /opt/rt-3.8.3/ rt3  (relinking /opt/rt3 to new source)
restart httpd

In this way, if the new version of RT breaks or doesn't seem to work right,
I can just relink /opt/rt3 to the old installation.  Of course, if the
database upgrade doesn't go right and is the cause of breakage, you'll need
to restore the database from a backup.  A backup you hopefully just
performed prior to beginning the upgrade process.  ;-)  If it's a major
schema upgrade, then I suggest testing things out by running the new RT
installation from a test server against a static/test copy of your RT
database.

James Moseley

Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com>  wrote:

FreeBSD port doesn't use "make install" or "make upgrade" -- unless
perhaps we're supposed to run "make upgrade" from the extraction
directory afterwards.  The port doesn't indicate this.

I'm very tempted to stop using the FreeBSD port and just run RT from a
single install directory, but I'm also aware that this will make the
installation even more tied-to-Jos-brain and less easy for others to
maintain, so...