[rt-users] Making RT and Altiris play nice

Jeremy Winder jwinder at logicalsi.com
Thu Jun 4 17:10:58 EDT 2009

When we started talking about implementing RT it was to solve an issue
we have between our help desk and the help desk of our biggest customer.
The idea was to have their Altiris system send emails to our RT install
regarding issues we needed to deal with, and for RT to be able to keep
their Altiris system updated as to whether the ticket was rejected or
completed by us.

One of the unforeseen issues is the email loop caused by both systems
tracking email correspondence by ticket number in the subject. Altiris
sets the subject to something like:

Medium Incident #11495 has been reassigned by Somebody

So of course our RT makes it:

[rt.local #104] Medium Incident #11495 has been reassigned by Somebody

Anytime the Altiris system updates their ticket we create a new one and
anytime RT updates our ticket they create a new one.

If anyone has ideas around this issue, I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy