[rt-users] rt-mailgate undefined server error for only one user

Jon Baker jbaker at wgm.us
Tue Jun 16 09:58:08 EDT 2009

I'm having a sudden problem with rt-mailgate that is extremely
puzzling to me, and I'm hoping I can get some guidance as to where to
look to solve this problem.

I have mailgate set up on our local network so that rtq+programming-web at elmer.wgm
, for example, is configured to send the incoming e-mail as a new
ticket in the programming-web queue:

rtq:         	"|/usr/sbin/rt-mailgate --extension queue --action
correspond --url http://alpha/rt/ --debug"

(I added the --debug this morning hoping to get more information on
this problem)

I have a user whose messages to this address are returning the
following error in the maillog:

alpha postfix/local[1521]: EF498880DA: to=<rtq+programming-
web at elmer.wgm>, relay=local, delay=53746, delays=53563/0.08/0/183,
dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: /usr/
sbin/rt-mailgate: temp file is '/tmp/36HC1MaNJp' /usr/sbin/rt-
mailgate: connecting to http://alpha/rt//REST/1.0/NoAuth/mail-gateway
An Error Occurred =================  500 read timeout  /usr/sbin/rt-
mailgate: undefined server error )

What happens is that a ticket is created but the message goes back
into the mail queue and tries again.  This morning there were about 15
identical tickets and counting.  The same thing happened yesterday.
It may also be limited to this single queue, as this user primarily
enters tickets via mailgate.  The message appears to be submitted
three minutes before the error, so it clearly is timing out for some
reason, but I can't figure out why.

Where it gets odd is, if I send a message to the queue using the same
to address (but my from address), it works fine:

alpha postfix/local[1641]: 9392A880DB: to=<rtq+programming-
web at elmer.wgm>, relay=local, delay=6.8, delays=0.43/0.09/0/6.3,
dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/sbin/rt-mailgate --
extension queue --action correspond --url http://alpha/rt/ --debug)

so it only appears to be this one user.  I don't see any errors in the
rt log, just that the ticket was successfully created.  I have
$LogToFile set to 'debug'.  We both have the same permissions (and
"everyone" is able to create tickets.  Of course, it's not the ticket
creation that's failing, obviously)

It's possible it could be a mail agent difference I suppose, I'm using
Mac Mail and she is using Outlook.

Any ideas where I need to look to solve this?
--
Jon Baker
Information Technology