[rt-users] urgent: disable search for new watchers

Ken Crocker kfcrocker at lbl.gov
Mon Jun 22 11:40:03 EDT 2009

Violetta,

    In Oracle (and I assume other DB's) a "View" is a way to allow users
to "See" specific data on a database without allowing them to "See it
all" nor to change the data. It is "Realtime". By using SQL, I create a
VIEW to RT Data. Meaning, a "psuedo-table".LEt's say I have 3 fields
from table 1, 2 fields from table 2, 8 fields from table 3 that I want
some users to see. I do NOT want them to see "other" information, nor do
I want these users to be able to modify any of the table data. So, I
create a "view" of these fields from the various tables and it is
accessed much like one would access a table in a DataBase. Hence the
term "View". Your DBA could tell you if your environment has such a
thing. IF so, they can tell you how to create it. It is ALWAYS
accessible (via userid and password) as long as the DataBase is up and
the dat is NOT loaded, it is "filetered" so to speak. Think of it as a
WINDOW to the DataBase. You can't see it all, you can only see what is
specified. Hope this helps.

Kenn
LBNL