[rt-users] Error: "User <username>: Email address in use"

Ritesh Sood baralachala at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 22:56:39 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I've been adding an managing users  through RTs web interface without
problem. These users have all had email ID's
of the form <username>.dept.univ.edu

Recently, we've had to give RT access to personnel from central campus
who have email ID's of the form <username>.univ.edu. However, trying
to add these users  returns the following error:
User <username>: Email address in use

I am running version 3.8.1 with mySQL DB backend. The following
appears in my RT_SiteConfig.pm
------------------- start code
Set($WebBaseURL , "https://rt3.dept.univ.edu");
Set($rtname , "dept.univ.edu");
Set($Organization , "dept.univ.edu");
------------------- end code

1) In the file  $RT3_INSTALL/lib/RT/User_Overlay.pm
------------------- start code
    #SANITY CHECK THE NAME AND ABORT IF IT'S TAKEN
       if ($RT::SystemUser) {   #This only works if RT::SystemUser has
been defined
           my $TempUser = RT::User->new($RT::SystemUser);
           $TempUser->Load( $args{'Name'} );
           return ( 0, $self->loc('Name in use') ) if ( $TempUser->Id );

           return ( 0, $self->loc('Email address in use') )
             unless ( $self-
 >ValidateEmailAddress( $args{'EmailAddress'} ) );
       }
       else {
           $RT::Logger->warning( "$self couldn't check for pre-
existing users");
       }
------------------- end code
and
------------------- start code
   =head2 SetEmailAddress

   Check to make sure someone else isn't using this email address
already
   so that a better email address can be returned

   =cut

   sub SetEmailAddress {
       my $self = shift;
       my $Value = shift;

       if ( $self->ValidateEmailAddress( $Value ) ) {
           return $self->_Set( Field => 'EmailAddress', Value =>
$Value );
       } else {