[rt-users] Email delay on ticket creation

Bill Cole rtusers-20090205 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Mar 11 18:37:16 EDT 2009

Kenneth Marshall wrote, On 3/11/09 2:27 PM:

>> > It's not primarily RT, it's primarily Postfix.

[...]
>> You *MIGHT* be able to get better behavior by adjusting the mail parameters
>> that RT is using. The defaults are reasonable for Real Sendmail and for the
>> sendmail compatibility interface of Postfix as Postfix is commonly
>> configured on many Linux and *BSD systems, but it is really not suited for
>> the modified (and somewhat old) Postfix that Apple ships on MacOS X with a
>> desktop-oriented configuration. You might find that using 'sendmail' instead
>> of 'sendmailpipe' for $MailCommand and adjusting $SendmailArguments (no -t)
>> makes the whole issue vanish.
>>
> We have been using RT since 3.2 with postfix versions 1.x and later
> and this sort of problem speaks to a misconfiguration of the postfix
> system, not a problem with the age of the release. The sendmail
> compatibility even in the earliest postfix releases has no problem
> with the way RT submits E-mail. I would recommend checking your
> postfix configurations. Good luck.

The age is a tangential issue, but when working with Postfix on MacOS X it
is helpful to know that one is dealing with an Apple-modified 2.1.x rather
than Dr. Venema's 2.5.x and that the default configuration on MacOS X is an
afterthought for a personal desktop system that almost never uses it. One
can really fix that Postfix by replacing it with a standard modern version,
adapt it to more normal use by changing the config, or adjust things that
use it (like RT) to go around its flaws. I may be wrong, but I think that by
using 'sendmail' instead of 'sendmailpipe' in RT, the envelope splitting
task is done upstream in the Mail::Mailer part of a MIME::Entity  object
rather than being handed off to the sendmail binary called with a '-t'
argument. That should prevent the circumstance where messages end up sitting
in the queue waiting for the next external event to trigger pickup.