[rt-users] Email delay on ticket creation

Bill Cole rtusers-20090205 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu Mar 12 10:45:17 EDT 2009

Derek Cunningham wrote, On 3/12/09 8:30 AM:
> Hi Bill,
>
> I really appreciate your time and helpful answers.  They have certainly
> pointed me in the right direction, and I'll update the list when I have it
> solved.
>
> It's been a bit of a challenge to make this run on Mac OS X, all kinds of
> different preinstalled software points to that it 'should' work easily, but
> time and time again I find myself fighting against what should be simple
> config changes that have been harder to solve than I though it should be.

It is useful to keep in mind that Apple acts strategically, even when it
looks like they are just being sloppy. MacOS X *Server* is a premium-priced
product and has very few truly secret differences from the standard version
of MacOS X that comes with a personal Mac, it is mostly a matter of
configuration; the desktop version of the system is aggressively configured
towards use as a personal computer that is almost exclusively used through
the GUI by one person at a time. The Postfix config is an example of this,
and if you want Postfix on a Mac to behave like a normal server instance of
Postfix, you should either replace it altogether or at least fix the lack of
wakeup settings in master.cf. That may also require you to watch out for
Apple regressing the change in future updates, but it won't break anything
that already works.

> At least I have some much more focused searches to make about the postfix
> config.  I will try changing RT's $MailCommand and $SendmailArguments first
> and see if that makes the difference.

Well, despite my digression on that option I think that is a second-best
approach. It is something one might try if one does not have administrative
control of the mail subsystem or has some need to keep the no-wakeup model.
The 'sendmailpipe' option for $MailCommand is a much more efficient
approach, and I wouldn't suggest switching to 'sendmail' on a high-volume RT
machine. I'm not even sure that change will solve the queue delay problem
completely. My hypothesis is that it will avoid the problem by serializing
the queueing of messages for multiple recipients so that the Postfix
'pickup' process can't win a parallel race with a 'sendmail -oi -t' process
that has to parse multiple recipients out of a Bcc header.