[rt-users] CommandByMail HELP with install

Bill Cole rtusers-20090205 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu Mar 12 18:16:49 EDT 2009

Kenneth Crocker wrote, On 3/12/09 3:37 PM:
> To all,
>

> 	FIRST and FOREMOST!!! I am NOT a Unix guy. I know it runs on a server
> and we have a Sparc server and our DataBase is Oracle 10g and we are on
> RT 3.6.4.
> 	However, I have NO IDEA how directories work when it comes to how an
> install program looks for or defines where to go to find software it
> wants to install. I am the Admin guy for RT at our site and so I
> understand privileges, how to create scrips and templates, Queues, etc.
> But when it comes to INSTALLING RT or any of the available extensions,
> I'm lost, TOTALLY!
> 	I downloaded the CommandByMail extension from CPAN with no problem.
> However, when I try to follow the instructions, I get the following error:
>
> Cannot find the location of RT.pm that defines $RT::LocalPath in: inc
> /soft/perl-5.8.5/run/default/sparc-SunOS-5.8/lib/5.8.5/sun4-solaris
> /soft/perl-5.8.5/run/default/sparc-SunOS-5.8/lib/5.8.5
> /soft/perl-5.8.5/run/default/sparc-SunOS-5.8/lib/site_perl/5.8.5/sun4-solaris
> /soft/perl-5.8.5/run/default/sparc-SunOS-5.8/lib/site_perl/5.8.5
> /soft/perl-5.8.5/run/default/sparc-SunOS-5.8/lib/site_perl .
> /opt/rt3/lib /opt/lib/rt3 /opt/lib /usr/local/rt3/lib /usr/local/lib/rt3
> /usr/local/lib /home/rt3/lib /home/lib/rt3 /home/lib /usr/rt3/lib
> /usr/lib/rt3 /usr/lib /sw/rt3/lib /sw/lib/rt3 /sw/lib

That smells like a Solaris 8 machine set up by someone with root access and
a grand concept for the way custom-built software is to be installed. You
may want to enlist that 'someone' (i.e. who should be a "Unix Guy") for help.

> Path to your RT.pm:

That looks like it is asking for input...

You could give it some. "/XXXX/rt/rt-3.6.4/lib/RT.pm" seems likely to be a
reasonable answer. "/XXXX/rt/rt-3.6.4/lib" might be all that it needs.

> 	Now, to be fair, I DO KNOW that we have /opt/rt pointing to
> /XXXX/rt/rt-3.6.4 (I have to protect our path).

If you can rename that symbolic link from /opt/rt to /opt/rt3 the whole
problem should go away for this and future cases where you want to install
an extension for RT.

 >From there
> (/XXXX/rt/rt-3.6.4) I can find all the bin, etc, lib, local, perl,
> share, and var directories. AND in /XXXX/rtrt-3.6.4/lib I can see a RT
> directory, a RT.pm file, a RT.pm.in file, and a t directory.
>
> 	Also, I downloaded the extension software to /XXXX/rt/src. So, when I
> go to /XXXX/rt/src I can find the "un-tared" version of the
> CommandByMail directory "RT-Extension-CommandByMail-0.05".
>
> 	I'm just not sure where to go from here. Do I have the downloaded
> CommandByMail directory in the wrong place? DO I move it? Where to?
> /XXXX/rt/rt-3.6.4? DO I just run "perl Makefile.PL" with some sort of
> overrides?

If you are stuck with /opt/rt instead of /opt/rt3, try this:

PERL5LIB=/XXXX/rt/rt-3.6.4/lib
export PERL5LIB
perl Makefile.PL

The first two commands set the PERL5LIB variable to where your RT perl
library lives and make that variable visible to child processes, i.e. to the
'perl' process you are running on the third line to do the installation.

(That assumes that you are using the default shell on Solaris 8, /bin/sh. If
those 2 commands kick back errors, your Unix Guy (the one who installed perl
5.8.5 under /soft) is evil...)

> 	I'm not an idiot, but I am VERY ignorant on this stuff. I know this is
> REALLY a pain in the rump for you more experienced people to have to
> walk an inexperienced person like me thru this, but I'm getting no help
> from my group except "put it in your directory and play with it". Well,
> asking me to play with it is like asking an infant to play with a
> rubik's cube to figure out how it works. I could spend the rest of my
> life playing with this and not get anywhere.

That depends on how old you are. After all, that infant might get really
good at the cube by age 10 or so.

FWIW, many of us learned Unix (or Linux) just that way. For this reason,
some of the people reading this are wondering about my suggestion for
setting and exporting PERL5LIB in 2 commands, a necessity for the ancient
shell in Solaris 8 that is only mostly like the ones in Linux and the BSD's.

> 	So, if there is a REAL BRAVE SOUL out there, who doesn't mind taking my
> hand and walking me thru this, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help me.

I hope this has helped.