[rt-users] RT 4 - status report

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Fri Mar 20 14:05:00 EDT 2009

On Mar 20, 2009, at 10:28 AM, Jesse Vincent wrote:
>> That's good.  Would this change improve the ability to run RT in a
>> virtual server environment, instead of having to pretty much commit
>> an
>> entire machine to it?   The number of things which "must be done by
>> root" which don't actually need root permissions, and could run under
>> a more limited user is quite large.  But they are difficult to
>> overcome with hacking the source due to assumptions built into the
>> code.
>
> Such as?
>
> I run RT configured "--with-my-user-group" all the time.

Such as rt-crontool.   I fought through a week of trying to be able to
run rt-crontool as any user other than root, and it never succeeded.
If the mason-cache stuff was created using a consistent userid then we
could run rt-crontool as that user.

In a perfect world, I want to install RT as a single user, then run a
separate HTTP instance as that same user, so that RT is running within
a single user account.  I'm mostly there on a dev install, but I've
already had to modify far too many files for it to be a simple patch.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness