[rt-users] RT 4 - status report

Ruslan Zakirov ruslan.zakirov at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 16:13:53 EDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com> wrote:
> On Mar 20, 2009, at 10:28 AM, Jesse Vincent wrote:
>>> That's good.  Would this change improve the ability to run RT in a
>>> virtual server environment, instead of having to pretty much commit
>>> an
>>> entire machine to it?   The number of things which "must be done by
>>> root" which don't actually need root permissions, and could run under
>>> a more limited user is quite large.  But they are difficult to
>>> overcome with hacking the source due to assumptions built into the
>>> code.
>>
>> Such as?
>>
>> I run RT configured "--with-my-user-group" all the time.
>

> Such as rt-crontool.   I fought through a week of trying to be able to
> run rt-crontool as any user other than root, and it never succeeded.
> If the mason-cache stuff was created using a consistent userid then we
> could run rt-crontool as that user.
If your crontool fails to write into file log then it's your mistake.
File log is not designed to be used in production, use syslog and/or
screen logging.

crontool doesn't use mason cache, but dashboards mailer can and it has
been fixed in 3.8.HEAD and the fix will be available in 3.8.3.

> In a perfect world, I want to install RT as a single user, then run a
> separate HTTP instance as that same user, so that RT is running within
> a single user account.  I'm mostly there on a dev install, but I've
> already had to modify far too many files for it to be a simple patch.
As jesse suggested you can use --with-my-user-group option to do this.
developers use it successfully for ages :)

> --
> Jo Rhett
> Net Consonance : consonant endings by net philanthropy, open source
> and other randomness

Best regards, Ruslan.