[rt-users] Strange Mason error

Rob Munsch rob.munsch at gmail.com
Thu May 14 09:55:30 EDT 2009

Hello list,

My RT project was stalled for a bit.  I went to look how it's been doing...
and it isn't.  I haven't touched it in a while, so i'm not sure what to
trace this back to.  I fixed it, but i'd like to know what happened.

I'm seeing this in the logs:
---
May 14 09:39:29 data postfix/local[4855]: 0C17C4560A4: to=<
rt at rt.phillycarshare.org>, relay=local, delay=0.12, delays=0.02/0/0/0.1,
dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: RT server
error.  The RT server which handled your email did not behave as expected.
It said:  mkdir /opt/rt3/var/mason_data/obj/2098779359: Permission denied at
/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/HTML/Mason/Compiler/ToObject.pm line 107  )
---

ToObject.pm has this code block where line 107 appears, as marked:

    if (defined $file && !-f $file) {
        my ($dirname) = dirname($file);
        if (!-d $dirname) {
            unlink($dirname) if (-e _);
LINE 107 ->      push @newfiles, mkpath($dirname, 0, 0775);
            system_error "Couldn't create directory $dirname: $!"
                unless -d $dirname;
        }
        rmtree($file) if (-d $file);
    }

So, ok, it's lost directory permissions somehow.  While i wasn't paying
attention to it.  How??
How can i figure out what it's trying to write to?  Also, i noticed that the
"couldn't create!" error is NOT appearing in the logs.

 > mkdir /opt/rt3/var/mason_data/obj/2098779359: Permission denied

in mason_data/ cache and etc are both owned by www-data, but obj is owned by
root and in the root group.  I'm assuming it must also be accessible by the
webserver, but how could this have changed?  chowning obj/ back to www-data
solved the issue, but i'd like to avoid whatever caused it.

Thanks,
Rob

--
/chown -R us:us /yourbase