[rt-users] Installing and Using ExternalAuth

Eric Chatham echatham at broadvox.net
Thu May 14 11:35:59 EDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: rt-users-bounces at lists.bestpractical.com [mailto:rt-users-bounces at lists.bestpractical.com] On Behalf Of Bill Cole
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 15:03
To: rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: Re: [rt-users] Installing and Using ExternalAuth

Thank you for identifying that for me.  Yes, I did install RT 3.6.1.  I found the tarball for v0.05 at http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/Z/ZO/ZORDRAK/

> Obviously the second one is not the right RT.pm It, but the others are also
> in very odd places for RT.pm. Typically RT's perl modules are NOT installed
> under the general-use perl directory tree, but in a distinct directory such
> as /opt/rt3/. The specific layout is defined as part of the build/install
> process, and results in the various paths being defined in the RT.pm that
> gets installed. If you start moving parts of RT around after installation,
> you will break it.

After extracting the file and following the instructions to complete the installation, there were no errors.  I also found the documentation for setting the ExternalAuth variables in RT_SiteConfig.PM as well.

Examples:

[root at clehbrtsrv01 RT-Auth]# ls
RT-Authen-ExternalAuth-0.05  RT-Authen-ExternalAuth-0.05.tar.gz

[root at clehbrtsrv01 RT-Auth]# cd RT-Authen-ExternalAuth-0.05

[root at clehbrtsrv01 RT-Authen-ExternalAuth-0.05]# ls
ChangeLog  etc  html  inc  lib  LICENSE  Makefile.PL  MANIFEST  META.yml  README
[root at clehbrtsrv01 RT-Authen-ExternalAuth-0.05]# Makefile.PL
-bash: Makefile.PL: command not found

[root at clehbrtsrv01 RT-Authen-ExternalAuth-0.05]# perl Makefile.PL
Cannot determine perl version info from lib/RT/Authen/ExternalAuth.pm
Cannot determine author info from lib/RT/Authen/ExternalAuth.pm
Cannot determine license info from lib/RT/Authen/ExternalAuth.pm
Using RT configuration from /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/RT.pm:
./etc   => /usr/local/rt3/etc/Authen-ExternalAuth
./html  => /usr/share/rt3/html
./lib   => /usr/local/rt3/lib
Cannot determine perl version info from lib/RT/Authen/ExternalAuth.pm
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for RT::Authen::ExternalAuth

[root at clehbrtsrv01 RT-Authen-ExternalAuth-0.05]# make
cp lib/RT/Authen/ExternalAuth.pm blib/lib/RT/Authen/ExternalAuth.pm
cp lib/RT/User_Vendor.pm blib/lib/RT/User_Vendor.pm
Manifying blib/man3/RT::Authen::ExternalAuth.3pm

[root at clehbrtsrv01 RT-Authen-ExternalAuth-0.05]# make install
Installing /usr/local/rt3/lib/RT/User_Vendor.pm
Installing /usr/local/rt3/lib/RT/Authen/ExternalAuth.pm
Installing /usr/local/rt3/man/man3/RT::Authen::ExternalAuth.3pm
Writing /usr/local/rt3/man/auto/RT/Authen/ExternalAuth/.packlist
Appending installation info to /usr/local/rt3/lib/perllocal.pod
Installing /usr/local/rt3/etc/Authen-ExternalAuth/RT_SiteConfig.pm
Installing /usr/share/rt3/html/Callbacks/ExternalAuth/autohandler/Auth

[root at clehbrtsrv01 RT-Authen-ExternalAuth-0.05]#

> 3 possibilities:
>
> 1. This is because of the version mismatch.
> 2. That RT.pm is not the RT.pm you are looking for, i.e. it is not the
> top-level module for Request Tracker.
> 3. That RT.pm is not readable by the install process. (one might achieve
> such an oddity with something like SELinux)

Speaking of SELinux, the instructions I followed say to "disable" this.  Does it matter if I chose the "permissive" level?  Also, I saw a question asked earlier on the mailing list.  Is there a way to integrate both LDAP and non-LDAP?