[rt-users] RT Upgrade failing from 3.6.6 to 3.8.6

Barron, Josh jbarron at afsnetworks.com
Mon Nov 16 18:21:29 EST 2009

Ok I've been fighting this forever and its really starting to get to me.

I'm trying to upgrade RT and I'm at the step where I'm supposed to
upgrade the database to a certain point before applying a schema.

The command to run is:

/opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --prompt-for-dba-password --action
upgrade

It then attempts to connect as rt_user.  I give it the password, proceed
through the prompts and then get:

DBI connect('dbname=rt3;host=localhost','rt_user',...) failed: Access
denied for user 'rt_user'@'localhost' (using password: YES) at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/DBIx/SearchBuilder/Handle.pm line 106

Connect Failed Access denied for user 'rt_user'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)

 at /opt/rt3/sbin/../lib/RT.pm line 204

So basically, it appears that my password is incorrect, HOWEVER, I can
connect to mysql using the exact user and password.  Its almost like the
perl script is NOT taking the prompts.

Hope someone can help.

-Josh