[rt-users] Creating tickets from email without creating new users but still able to reply to originating address

Steve Scaffidi stephen at scaffidi.net
Fri Oct 2 13:41:04 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Jerrad Pierce
<jpierce at cambridgeenergyalliance.org> wrote:
>>  2. If an email is from an email address that does not match any
>> user, a ticket is created with a special 'email user' as the requestor
> Doable with a custom Interface::Email extension

That's one of the things I was looking at. I'll see what I can cook up :)

>>  3. When someone replies to a ticket created via email as per #2 the
>> reply is sent to the original email address but still does not create
>> a user in RT.
> That will be tougher since AFAIK RT uses the user to fill in the message
> template. You could try stashing the actual recipient in another header
> (though RT seems to discard any it does not need), or another table,
> and pull it out in your template code to set the actual recipient header.

I had a bit of a brain-storm (drizzle?) just after I hit send on my
initial message and realized I could probably populate a CustomField
with the original email address on ticket creation. Then, when we
reply/correspond on that ticket perhaps a Scrip can extract that
address from the field and add it to the To: field of any emails sent.
Alternatively, getting that value from a template may be easier.

Thanks for your input, and I'll certainly welcome any further tips
from the list!
--
-- Steve Scaffidi <stephen at scaffidi.net>