[rt-users] Web interface configuration question

Easyrider Inquiry Inquiry at Easyrider.com
Mon Oct 5 15:30:22 EDT 2009

Bennett, Bevan (IS) wrote:
>> # RT Stuff
>>
>> Alias /rt/ "/opt/rt3/share/html/"
>> Alias /rt "/opt/rt3/share/html/"
>> Alias /helpdesk/ "/opt/rt3/share/html/"
>> Alias /helpdesk "/opt/rt3/share/html/"
>>
>> NameVirtualHost *:80 # Tried 443, no-go
>> <VirtualHost *:80> # Ditto
>> ServerAdmin Certified_Today[at]Easyrider.com
>> ServerName backup.easyrider.com
>> DocumentRoot /opt/rt3/share/html/
>> AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
>> # Adding the following for RT (the ticket tracker)
>> AddHandler fastcgi-script .fcgi
>> <Directory "/opt/rt3/share/html">
>> Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
>> AllowOverride None
>> </Directory>
>> # Pass through requests to for noauth
>> Alias /NoAuth/images /opt/rt3/share/html/NoAuth/images
>> ScriptAlias / /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/
>> </VirtualHost>
>
> Hey, my mailing-list membership isn't up yet, but I think I can help you.
> This is a close translation of what we have to enable what you're
> looking for.
>
> What you want is something like this:
> # Allow access to the RT html area
> <Directory /opt/rt3/share/html">
>   Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
>   AllowOverride None
> </Directory>
>
> # Keep your core system core
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>   ServerName backup.easyrider.com
>   DocumentRoot /var/www/html
>
>   # Now add the handlers and aliases for RT, *to the RT location*
>   Alias /rt /opt/rt3/share/html/
>   <Location /rt>
>         SetHandler perl-script
>         PerlResponseHandler RT::Mason
>   </Location>
>   <Location /rt/NoAuth/images>
>      SetHandler default
>   </Location>
> </VirtualHost>
Thanks VERY much for the concise instructions Bevan!  Just what I was
hoping for.  Unfortunately, your example didn't work :(

I think you are on the right track and I have previously tried
combinations very close to yours based on various threads I've read on
this topic.  I think it's the <location> section that's causing
problems.  If I comment it out, I get the BP "almost there" page.  With
it in there, I get an internal server error.

The server name is not yet registered in DNS... don't know if that's a
factor.  I toggle the WebPath and WebBaseURL settings for each test
iteration with no change in results.  Doing an httpd restart each time,
of course. I changed httpd.conf to look EXACTLY like your example and
when it didn't work I tried various combinations so as to not bother the
list without fully trying to fix this on my own.

/opt/rt3/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm:
# ----- START -----------------------

#Set($WebPath , "");
Set($WebPath , "/rt");

Set($WebPort , 80);# + ($< * 7274) % 32766 + ($< && 1024));

#Set($WebBaseURL , "http://backup.easyrider.com:$WebPort");
Set($WebBaseURL , "http://localhost:$WebPort");

Set($WebURL , $WebBaseURL . $WebPath . "/");

#------ END -----------------------

/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:

# ----- START ---------

# Allow access to the RT html area
<Directory /opt/rt3/share/html">
  Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
  AllowOverride None
</Directory>

# Keep your core system core
<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName backup.easyrider.com
  DocumentRoot /var/www/html

  # Now add the handlers and aliases for RT, *to the RT location*
  Alias /rt /opt/rt3/share/html/

# Enabling the following produces an internal server error page
# Commenting it out gives a BP almost there page

#  <Location /rt>
#        SetHandler perl-script
#        PerlResponseHandler RT::Mason
#  </Location>