[rt-users] Web interface configuration question

Easyrider Inquiry Inquiry at Easyrider.com
Mon Oct 5 16:50:51 EDT 2009

When you get the internal server error, what shows up in your webserver
error_log?
> The big difference I see between your original and mine is that you
> have a ScriptAlias instead of a SetHandler.
> It looks like you're configured to use fastCGI (via the scriptAlias)
> rather than mod_perl (like I am), which would indeed lead to internal
> server errors.
>
> Looking at the fastcgi config docs, you probably want something closer
> to this:
> That, along with your Webpath "/rt", may do the trick.
>
> # Allow access to the RT html area
> <Directory /opt/rt3/share/html">
>   Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
>   AllowOverride None
> </Directory>
>
> # Keep your core system core
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>   ServerName backup.easyrider.com
>   DocumentRoot /var/www/html
>
>   # Now add the handlers and aliases for RT, *to the RT location*
>
>   ScriptAlias /rt /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/
>   AddHandler fastcgi-script fcgi
>
>   <Location /rt>
>     AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
>     SetHandler fastcgi-script
>   </Location>
> </VirtualHost>

Yep!  Any improvement is a good thing :)  And all of the credit goes to
you since I have been pretty much spinning my wheels for 48 hours before
you came along.

Getting very close here....  already logged on accounts now work
correctly on /rt and not http://backup.easyrider.com as they should.  So
that seems to be at least somewhat fixed.

However, new log in attempts go directly to
http://backup.easyrider.com/index.html.com after you enter the username
and password.  Screwy... there must be a path setting somewhere that's
still wrong perhaps?

Also, a small issue but likely related to all of the above is that my
logo is not being displayed (although I've had this working when RT ran
out of the web root). You get no gif and the alt text instead but for
Best Practical even though I have long since changed it to my URL.  It's
like reload isn't reloading all of RT_siteconfig.pm or something. It's
like the Set WebPath value isn't taking although reload does seem to be
reading the pm file..

Rather than experiment with a million combinations to see if I can solve
this, I thought it would be wiser to just get back to you since you
actually seem to understand this stuff.  No errors in the Apache log
file (anymore).

/opt/rt3/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm:
# ----- START -----------------------

#Set($WebPath , "");
Set($WebPath , "/rt");

Set($WebPort , 80);# + ($< * 7274) % 32766 + ($< && 1024));

#Set($WebBaseURL , "http://backup.easyrider.com:$WebPort");
Set($WebBaseURL , "http://localhost:$WebPort");

Set($WebURL , $WebBaseURL . $WebPath . "/");

Set($WebImagesURL , $WebPath . "/NoAuth/images/");

Set($LogoURL , $WebImagesURL . "bplogo.gif"); # bplogo.gif was
overwritten to be my logo
Set($LogoLinkURL, 'http://security.nocdesigns.com');
Set($LogoAltText, "Easyrider LAN Pro");

# WebNoAuthRegex - What portion of RT's URLspace should not require
# authentication.
Set($WebNoAuthRegex, qr!^(?:/+NoAuth/|
                            /+REST/\d+\.\d+/NoAuth/)!x );

#------ END -----------------------

/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:

# Latest RT config experiment BEGIN
# ----- START ---------

# Allow access to the RT html area
<Directory /opt/rt3/share/html">
  Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
  AllowOverride None
</Directory>

# Keep your core system core
<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName backup.easyrider.com
  DocumentRoot /var/www/html

  # Now add the handlers and aliases for RT, *to the RT location*

  ScriptAlias /rt /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/
  AddHandler fastcgi-script fcgi

  <Location /rt>
    AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
    SetHandler fastcgi-script