[rt-users] RT slowness but ONLY when sending email

gunslinger95 gunslinger95 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 21:23:15 EDT 2009

We've got a new RT install (RT 3.8.4 running on Solaris 10) that we've
started using here at work.

I've read through a bunch of the "slow" RT threads, but haven't seen what we
are.  In general the performance is very good.

Our problem is when a user takes an action that generates an outbound email
message.  The application just sits there for a LONG time (maybe 60 seconds
or so) before the resulting page is displayed and the mail message is
delivered.  If a user goes into the preferences and turns off the email
functionality, the system performance on the same function is perfectly
acceptable.  Using sendmail from the command line works just fine with no
delay so we're at a loss.

It looks like RT is timing out waiting for SOMETHING and then sends the
message after the timeout.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!