[rt-users] Unable to Upgrade RT 3.6.6 to 3.8.x using MySQL 5.0.77 and provided database upgrade scripts

Barron, Josh jbarron at afsnetworks.com
Fri Oct 30 18:36:38 EDT 2009

Hello all,

I'm having quite the time upgrading RT from 3.6.6 to the last version.
I am following the readme and upgrading.mysql docs.

./configure runs fine

Make testdeps and fixdeps were also successful

Make upgrade ran with no errors

Coming up on the section about upgrading the database to 3.7.87 prior to
executing the SQL schema as detailed in the upgrading.mysql doc:

[root at help01 rt-3.8.6]# ./sbin/rt-setup-database --dba root
--prompt-for-dba-password --action upgrade

In order to create or update your RT database, this script needs to
connect to your  mysql instance on localhost as root

Please specify that user's database password below. If the user has no
database

password, just press return.

Password:

Working with:

Type:   mysql

Host:   localhost

Name:   rt3

User:   rt_user

DBA:    root

Enter RT version you're upgrading from: 3.6.6

Going to apply following upgrades:

* 3.7.1

* 3.7.3

* 3.7.10

* 3.7.15

* 3.7.19

* 3.7.81

* 3.7.82

* 3.7.85

* 3.7.86

* 3.7.87

* 3.8.0

* 3.8.1

* 3.8.2

* 3.8.3

* 3.8.4

* 3.8.6

Enter RT version if you want to stop upgrade at some point,

  or leave it blank if you want apply above upgrades: 3.7.87

Going to apply following upgrades:

* 3.7.1

* 3.7.3

* 3.7.10

* 3.7.15

* 3.7.19

* 3.7.81

* 3.7.82

* 3.7.85

* 3.7.86

* 3.7.87

IT'S VERY IMPORTANT TO BACK UP BEFORE THIS STEP

Proceed [y/N]:y

Processing 3.7.1

DBI connect('dbname=rt3;host=localhost','rt_user',...) failed: Access
denied for user 'rt_user'@'localhost' (using password: YES) at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/DBIx/SearchBuilder/Handle.pm line 106

Connect Failed Access denied for user 'rt_user'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)

 at /home/jbarron/rt-3.8.6/sbin/../lib/RT.pm line 204

Using the user/pass specified in the script to connect directly to mysql
works fine so I'm not sure why its still failing on me.  I've added all
the permissions for the rt_user and root user just to test, tried
running the script with no arguments except -action upgrade, and I'm
still stuck.

Thanks kindly,

Josh Barron