[rt-users] Mail Alias Setup

Joe Hartley joe.hartley at retailsolutions.com
Thu Sep 3 09:37:40 EDT 2009

Baskaraganesan Natarajan writes:
> rt: "|/etc/smrsh/rt-mailgate --queue 'general' --action correspond --url http://<rt3-host>/"
>
> Can you please explain what this line mean.  I understand that “rt” is a
> mailer alias and any mail sent to rt in this server will be sent to user
> in the second column.

The pipe in a UNIX shell takes the output from a program or process and
sends it to be the input of another.

When the second half of an alias begins with a pipe, it takes the output
from sendmail (the email message) and pipes it to the command listed in
the alias to be used as that program's input - in this case, the
rt-mailgate program.

--
Joe Hartley | Sr. Linux SysAdmin
Retail Solutions, Inc.
joe.hartley at retailsolutions.com
+1 401.824.5040 (o) | +1 401.824.5002 (f)