[rt-users] Large Attachments being processed

Mike Johnson Mike.Johnson at NorMed.ca
Wed Sep 23 11:24:58 EDT 2009

Greetings,

So I did my homework... and I"m looking for anyone that has tested large attachments.

The Attachment table's content field in the rt3 database uses longtext as the datatype.  This means it can hold a 4GB file.  However in the default RT_SiteConfig.pm it has it cut off at 10mb.

Now, I have come to realize that fetchmail is the reason why this is low.  Our fetchmail tried to parse a 100mb file into an RT ticket, and it ended up forking perl processes until the server ran out of memory and started using swap memory, and eventually crippled the server.

My question is, what is the biggest size file fetchmail can parse without the above happening?  Is it dependent on RAM?  Our box has 4GB of ram, and it chewed through that in a matter of seconds....

Also, if the user manually attaches a file through the Web Interface, is there any limitation with RT itself, now that I know mysql can handle a 4GB file?

We are on an older version, but this question remains the same for the latest version.  The latest version of RT's default config has attachments of 10mb truncated.

Thanks!

Mike Johnson
Datatel Programmer/Analyst
Northern Ontario School of Medicine
955 Oliver Road
Thunder Bay, ON   P7B 5E1
Phone: 807.766.7331
Email: mike.johnson at normed.ca
Technology assistance: email nosmhelpdesk at normed.ca
Technology Emergency Contact (TEC) Mon-Fri, 8am to 5pm excluding stat holidays:
Off campus toll free 1-800-461-8777, option 8, or locally either
(705)-662-7120 or (807)-766-7500