[rt-users] Question about using an external SMTP server

Chris Hall hiro24 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 14:54:52 EDT 2010

We're tightly controlling port 25 on our site here, so using the local
method for sending email is a no go.  I read something about installing
mailgate on the smtp server here, but that has some people... nervous....
 My boss seems to think it should be a matter of switching a line or two to
set a smarthost to our smtp server to make it work.  So my question is,
without dropping additional software or whatnot on the smtp server... how
can I use an external server for sending mail?  What's the preferred and
correct configuration needed?