[rt-users] Question about using an external SMTP server

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 16:23:52 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Chris Hall <hiro24 at gmail.com> wrote:
> well.. none yet.  I think I see where I've mis-stepped.  the modifications
> to /etc/aliases needs to be ON the SMTP server, not the RT server, is that
> correct?  and if so, that means I need to install the rt-mailgate on the
> SMTP server?  If that's true, could I just copy my rt-mailgate from my bin
> dir on the rt server to the SMTP server, or do I really have to go through
> the entirety of the installation?  ...lotsa questions there, sry.

rt-mailgate is depending on few perl modules. copy it over and run it
and you will
see the modules you need or open the file to find out. just install
those dependent
perl modules. you have to make sure your smtp server has http(s)
access to your rt

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Curtis Bruneau <curtisb at vianet.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Assuming the SMTPFrom setting isn't overriding the reply addresses
>> specified in the queue config queue@ queue-comment@ etc. You may need to
>> rebuild the alias hash with the newaliases command. Are you getting any
>> bounces from your smtp?
>>
>> Chris Hall wrote:
>>>
>>> ahh, nevermind, I got it...
>>>
>>> Set($SMTPServer, '##########');
>>> Set($SMTPFrom , 'rt at rt.#########.com');
>>>
>>> but now, my question has evolved slightly.. email seems to be
>>> successfully sent out, but I get the email saying "reply to this address if
>>> you have questions, etc..." I reply to it, and nothing seems to happen.
>>>
>>> I've added the following lines to /etc/aliases
>>>
>>> rt: "|/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue 'General' --action correspond
>>> --url http://rt.###########.com"
>>> rt-comment: "|/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue 'General' --action comment
>>> --url http://rt.##########.com"
>>>
>>> (obviously w/o the # signs...) but nothing seems to happen when I reply
>>> to the email... any ideas as to why?
>>>

>>> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Curtis Bruneau <curtisb at vianet.ca
>>> <mailto:curtisb at vianet.ca>> wrote:
>>>
>>>    You should be able to set up postfix using the parameter
>>>    'relayhost' for relaying, you can specify a different port if
>>>    needed. This would allow you to still use the sendmail commands to
>>>    send. This is assuming you can still receive on port 25 for MX
>>>    deliveries. Otherwise you may have no choice but to set it up on
>>>    your real smtp server.
>>>
>>>    Chris Hall wrote:
>>>
>>>        We're tightly controlling port 25 on our site here, so using
>>>        the local method for sending email is a no go.  I read
>>>        something about installing mailgate on the smtp server here,
>>>        but that has some people... nervous....  My boss seems to
>>>        think it should be a matter of switching a line or two to set
>>>        a smarthost to our smtp server to make it work.  So my
>>>        question is, without dropping additional software or whatnot
>>>        on the smtp server... how can I use an external server for
>>>        sending mail?  What's the preferred and correct configuration
>>>        needed?

>>>        Discover RT's hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O'Reilly
>>>        Media.
>>>        Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com

Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?