[rt-users] Delegation Issues

Raimund Sacherer rs at runsolutions.com
Wed Feb 17 09:03:06 EST 2010

Hello Mailinglist,

I have an RT and RTIR setup which works (after lots of struggles with the
rights system) nicely.

The only big issue I have is that the Delegation-System does not seem to work,
i googled and searched the WIKI (not much information there) and I found a
thread in the mailinglists where developers asked about the usefullness of the
Delegation feature, if someone uses ist and they said if nobody stands up for
it, they want to get rid of it.

So, I hope it has not been abondend?

The Problems i experience:

I have setup all rights in recursive groups, theres:

Team
|-> DutyTeam
|     |-> DutyTeam X
|     |-> DutyTeam Y
|     |-> DutyTeam ...
|-> RT Group 1
|-> RT Group 2
|-> RT Group 3

Each group has different rights and Team has rights for everyone (like
DelegateRights, AdministerPersonalGroups, etc.).

I can create personel groups and I can administrate them, put members in, etc.
BUT the delegation TAB does not show me any rights to delegate.

Now if I log in as root, I see some rights, but only a few and they seem to do
not make any sense to me, see also these images:

root, personal group test, strange rights to delegate:
http://www.ubuntu-
pics.de/bild/41691/delegate_rights___vimperator_001_2264Yk.png

user, personal group raimund2, nothing at all:
http://www.ubuntu-
pics.de/bild/41693/delegate_rights___vimperator_004_thumb_4Cg998.png

Here you can see the group raimund2 exists and has members, etc:
http://www.ubuntu-
pics.de/bild/41695/editing_membership_for_personal_group_raimund2___vimperator_003_6M3Kn7.png

So, is the delegation system working?
Does it eventually only work with direct associated rights (which I can not
believe ...)?

Somehow I really would like to stirup some conversation about this because I
find a delegation system very useful. But even if it would work with the
personal groups as it seems to be implemented could it not be somehow easier?

I realize that the system now is one of flexibility, could there not be a
possibility to just say (additional to the implementation now) delegate to
these people/groups my rights.

As this would be sufficient nearly 95% of the time my clients need to do
delegations (basically, for illness, vacation and part-time helpers).

Best regards

--

Raimund Sacherer
-
Email: rs at runsolutions.com

Parc Bit - Centro Empresarial Son Espanyol
Edificio Estel - Local 3D
07121 -  Palma de Mallorca
Baleares

--