[rt-users] screendumps, searching and editing

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Fri Jan 8 09:14:08 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:42:32AM -0000, Tim Bonnell wrote:
> I tried RT in the Spring of 2008 and though it did most of what I
> wanted, there were a couple of features (or lack of them) that made me
> stop. I have searched this mailing list for an update on these features,
> but have failed to find a definitive answer.
>

> Searchable body
>
> Include screen dumps inside request headers and solutions
>
> Edit body text
>

> Searchable body. I used RT to log customers problem requests, and
> document the solution. I would include code snippets, error logs etc,
> and would need to be able to search for these pieces in future call
> requests.

Any text has always been searchable. I would not however recommend
doing a full content search if your database is large without
full text indexing support. The two backends that currently support
it are Oracle and PostgreSQL. Please see the wiki for details on
how to set it up.

> Screen Dumps.I support a complex business application and encourage the
> users to include a screen dump with a problem request. I would also like
> to include screen dumps of the solution that were used.
>

> Editable body text. I agree with the general principle that each stage
> of progress should not be changed, however on occasion during providing
> a solution, you may type a code snippet incorrectly. I need a way of
> changing incorrect information.

The latest version is the corrected information. History is not
malleable/changeable with in RT. You can also add a fixed version.

Cheers,
Ken