[rt-users] CentOS 5.4 Fresh Install - Perl issues followingguide

Mr Gabriel gabriel at impactteachers.com
Mon Jan 11 11:19:34 EST 2010

On 11/01/2010 16:08, L B wrote:
> I installed many RT systems on CentOS/RHEL and now my prefered method
> is installing everything with CPAN. Managing perl dependencies RPMs is
> really a mess, you don't have all of them in the same repository, and
> you need some updated modules bundled with the default perl RPM
> package.
>
>   I recommend just installing a default centos/redhat (with a default
> perl package, updated to the last available version with yum update),
> and then install the perl dependencies with CPAN and make fixdeps.
>
>   If I remember well, this syslog module is part of the default perl
> package so even if you find a recent rpm, you'll get a dependency
> problem.
>
> Get the tarball
> uncompress it
> ./configure  with your options,
> install the RPMs dependencies you need for this (not perl packages.
> For example, httpd, mod_perl, graphviz etc...)
> export PERL_MM_USE_DEFAULT=1
> make fixdeps
> make testdeps
> make install

This is the approach I was going for originally, to compile from source,
I don't know why I changed my mind to go with the RPM's, but I guess
CPAN and SOURCE should be the way to go. Oh, and umm, if your installing
a bare bones system, please remember to install gcc as well!!!

*just noticed this was causing problems!*