[rt-users] To/From header presentation on correspondence

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Jan 15 02:20:48 EST 2010

Greetings,

I apologise if this has been asked a lot already, but I couldn't find
anything pertinent in the archives.  The obligatory newbie apologia is
definitely in order.

I am rather perplexed as to what scrip and template strategies I can
adopt to "normalise" the flow of e-mail associated with tickes, from a
user perspective.  I am assuming that both sequential (subsequent to the
e-mail that initially opens the ticket) messages sent by the customer
(requestors/watchers) to RT in connection with a ticket, and messages
sent from the ticket (via Reply) to the requestors/watchers are to be
treated as "correspondence" rather than comments.

That leaves me with a few annoying issues arising principally from the
fact that the template system doesn't provide a straightforward way
(that I know of) to determine the direction of the message - inbound to
the system, or outbound from it.  The problems specifically are:

1. All subsequent replies from the ticket to the customer contain the
same subject tag and subject, irrespectively of their being replies.

The only way I can think of to solve this problem is by crafting some
Perl for the Subject header in the template that regexes out what would
otherwise become growing chains of "Re:"'s, but I wonder if there is a
cleaner way to do it.  I assume it's a problem that's already been
solved by many others.

2. I really wish that the "From" header on correspondence received from
the customer into the ticket and copied to AdminCcs and the ticket owner
via e-mail notifications would contain not only their sending display
name, but also their real sending email address.  Instead, it is
replaced by the CorrespondAddress, whether the default or overridden one.

3. Is there some way to disable that aspect of "correspondence" in which
the sending customer gets a copy of their own message back each time?
It shows that it's "From" them but has our support address as a source
address, and just confuses matters.  I don't want to treat these
incoming messages as "comments" in rt-mailgate, and that wouldn't solve
#2 anyway.

Thanks in advance!

-- Alex

--