[rt-users] Mysql queries slow

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Thu Jul 22 13:35:27 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 09:52:14AM -0700, William Graboyes wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
> I do not have the full hardware specs.  It is a hosted RT system.  The specs
> that I do have access to are as follows:
>
> Probably a dual core single CPU system, speed unknown
> 2gb of ram
> 80 gb hd space they are using md but I do not know the configuration
> particulars.
>
> I know it is not much help.  I have applied all the mysql tuning tricks I
> know to it.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

Hi Bill,

It looks like you are being constrained by your hardware. The rows
in the Transactions table are much, much smaller than those in the
Attachments table. This means that on a system such as yours with
only 2GB of memory, pretty much the entire Transactions table can
be cached in memory. Unless you have very small attachments, this
will not be the case for the Attachments table. I suspect that the
lookups are quick but retrieving all the attachments via effectively
random I/O on a single disk is holding you back.

Cheers,
Ken