[rt-users] Fetchmail Headache

Marco Dieckhoff dieckhoff at bremskerl.de
Fri Jul 23 18:05:16 EDT 2010

Am 23.07.2010 22:53, schrieb George Simpson:
> Hello everyone!
>
> My company recently got a working install of RT and Postfix up and it
> was running fine without fetchmail, just that everyone had to log into
> the RT portal. We decided this last monday to install fetchmail on the
> CentOS box to make it easier for the employees to create tickets and
> comment on them too. However, after five days of research and
> problems, I am admitting defeat to fetchmail. I could really use some
> help with the configuration, any help, because I am helplessly lost. I
> just reinstalled fetchmail, so it needs the fetchmailrc file (which is
> the root of my problem) and if someone could help me configure that
> file, and the rest of it too, it would be extremely hellpful!

It's actually quite simple. We use a very basic configuration here:

All mail destined for RT goes to an IMAP inbox somewhere (different
server than RT here).

We created a user "rtimap" on our linux box running RT.

.fetchmailrc
poll servername.domain.somewhere proto IMAP user "username" with pass
"password" fetchall idle

The magic is done in /etc/aliases (could be configured by maildrop,
procmail and others, too, I believe.)
All mails are delivered directly to the utility rt-mailgate, which is
part of the rt installation (afair).
Just set the queue they should go to and the right url.
We encountered problems with https here, so you may want to try http, at
least locally.

rtimap: "|/usr/bin/rt-mailgate --queue 'Incoming' --action correspond
--url http://server.running.rt/in/this/directory/"

(don't forget to run "newaliases")

We try to start fetchmail as cronjob every 10 minutes:
*/10 * * * * /usr/bin/fetchmail -s 2>/dev/null >/dev/null

But fetchmail will be kept logged in to the mailbox (keyword "idle" in
.fetchmailrc), and react instantly to new mails, so this is just in case
the connection vanishes to reestablish it.

I highly recommend the >/dev/null 2>/dev/null part, otherwise mails
generated from cron will go to rtimap, which will create a ticket via
aliases for each mail.

Regards,
Marco