[rt-users] Fetchmail Headache

Mike Johnson mike.johnson at nosm.ca
Sun Jul 25 09:38:29 EDT 2010

Hi,

Our fetchmail setup is this...

1. fetchmailstart.sh script in the RT install location.  This is just a 1
liner that has the fetchmail command, the fetchmailrc file we setup, the
argument to tell fetchmail to start as a daemon.

2. fetchmailrc file which is setup based off of the documentation in the
linux man file for fetchmail

3. Command to start fetchmail at system startup in the rc.local so when the
server boots up, it's running.

the fetchmailrc file is not delivered with fetchmail or rt.... but as I said
the man pages tell you everything you need to know.  USe those, and google
"fetchmailrc examples" and you should be able to build one.  I have queues
pulling from both imap(Groupwise and google apps education), and pop3 from
an external (unknown) email server.

Let me know if you want anymore info... fetchmail I believe is the easiest
part of the RT install.

Monday I could send you some stuff to help ya out.

Thanks!
Mike.

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 4:10 AM, Rob MacGregor <rob.macgregor at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 23:19, George Simpson <simpsongeorge68 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > The problem was that the fetchmailrc file wasn't in the install, so we
> made
> > it. Neither could we find the fetchmail.conf from the install. Could we
> have
> > done the yum command wrong for the installation?
>
> No, the fetchmailrc is unique to you.  There's no way to provide you
> with a relevant one without you providing a lot of information.
>
> > and a couple of questions:
> > where do we run newaliases?
>
> On the host running postfix.
>
> > where is the fetchmailrc file located, and what are the correct settings
> > point it to RT
>
> Wherever you want - if you don't specify it on the command line it
> needs to be in $HOME/.fetchmailrc of the user running fetchmail, which
> shouldn't be root.  As for the correct settings, I just did a search
> for "fetchmail" on the RT wiki and found a large number of documents
> that are relevant, including:
>
> http://rt.bestpractical.com/view/POP3Mailgate
> http://rt.bestpractical.com/view/fetchmail
> http://rt.bestpractical.com/view/GoogleApps
>
> > and the command with --queue is where we got our syntax errors. does
> there
> > have to be single quotes around the queue name?
> > thanks so much, sorry for my lack of knoledge, but I've been kind of
> > flustered because all I've had to work on the entire RT configuration is
> > command line only CentOS installation running on a different computer...
>
> Do make use of the wiki - it's pretty much all we needed to get our RT
> install up and running (the book came in handy a few times too).
>
> --
>                  Please keep list traffic on the list.
>
> Rob MacGregor
>       Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he
>         doesn't become a monster.                  Friedrich Nietzsche

Mike Johnson
Datatel Programmer/Analyst
Northern Ontario School of Medicine
955 Oliver Road