[rt-users] Assign child ticket to a separate queue?

Kenneth Crocker kfcrocker at lbl.gov
Wed Sep 8 11:27:11 EDT 2010

Ciancetta,

Yes, it is possible. Currently, when you click the "Create" button to create
a child ticket, RT automatically puts the Queue from the parent ticket as
the Queue where the child ticket will be created. That's a problem and I'm
sure in 3.10, they will allow a manual override similar to the owner,
requestor, etc. However, in the meantime, you can get around this problem.

First, Create a Custom Field called, let's say, "Child Queue". Set this CF
as "Enter one value". Apply this CF to whatever Queues need this function
(you may have Queues that are for maintenance only and don't have children
tickets). When a user creates that child, they set the CF value to the name
or ID of that Queue (you could have a list of all possible Queues and they
could select from that list as well).

Second, you create a scrip for these same Queues that looks at the CF value
and based on that value, changes the Queue to the value set in that CF.

This works, as I've done for some of our Queues where someone sent in an
email to the wrong Queue and we intercept that email, evaluate the "From"
address and re-direct that ticket to a different Queue.

Hope this helps.

Kenn
LBNL