[rt-users] Running into problem upgrading 3.6.0 -> 3.8.9

Lois Bennett lois.bennett at channing.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 1 11:30:24 EDT 2011

Hello,

I am upgrading and moving RT to a new Linux server form an old Solaris
server  and I am running into a problem with moving the database.
The  UPGRADING.mysql document says to:  " Backup RT's database. Use
--default-character-set=binary if mysql server is 4.1 or newer. Test
that you can restore from this backup."

old mysql --version
mysql  Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.20, for sun-solaris2.9 (sparc) using readline 5.1
new mysql  --version
mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.81, for unknown-linux-gnu (x86_64) using
readline 5.2

But it fails when I attempt to restore the database on the new server.
 It was able to restore the  dump I made without the
--default-character-set=binary option.

The error I get  in trying to restore the database on the new server is:
root # mysql -p < /var/tmp/rt3.sql
Enter password:
PAGER set to stdout
PAGER set to stdout
PAGER set to stdout
PAGER set to stdout
PAGER set to stdout
PAGER set to stdout
PAGER set to stdout
PAGER set to stdout
PAGER set to stdout
ERROR 1064 (42000) at line 395: You have an error in your SQL syntax;
check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the
right syntax to use near 's Office). I was wondering if Jacques or>
someone could come down and help me se' at line 1

This appears to be in the section  of the dump of the Attachments.

So do I need to use the -default-character-set=binary option?  Maybe I
need to dump some tables separately?

Thanks for  any help you can provide.

Peace,
Lois