[rt-users] Create tickets on mails without creating a real user record.

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Fri Apr 1 17:52:49 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 11:12:13PM +0200, Jan Hugo Prins wrote:
> On 04/01/2011 04:05 PM, Kevin Falcone wrote:
> > RT creates a user record for any email address associated with a
> > ticket.  That is a fundamental part of how RT works.
> >
> > Why are you concerned about this?
> Well, it's not that I'm concerned about it, but we were wandering about
> this during our tests on how to get RT working with creating new
> external users, while also allowing users authenticate that have a LDAP
> account. This doesn't seem to work the way it is supposed to work, at

You've not said how you're doing your LDAP at all, or provided config
details, so it is hard to comment.

> least not yet, and then we thought, can we accept tickets without
> creating the account. Besides that, when your RT installation starts
> receiving spam mail, then you can end up with an enormous user database,
> so allowing external users to autocreate an account is not really an
> option I think.

Users can often end up being a large table, but that isn't generally a
problem provided you're not granting large bunches of rights to
Unprivileged or giving folks passwords automatically.

I routinely deal with 500K users tables without real issues.

-kevin